For Candidates - Frequently Asked Questions
1. Why should I use a legal recruiter?
Legal recruiters screen opportunities for you so you can find the right job easier and faster. We provide you with market intelligence, schedule interviews for you, and help you to negotiate compensation and other criteria important to you. Our consultants are your professional allies!
2. How does ZSA differ?
We are different from other recruitment firms; here are some of the things that set us apart:
- Founded in 1997, ZSA is Canada’s largest and only national Legal Recruitment Firm specializing in the recruitment and placement of lawyers, law firm management professionals and legal support staff.
- Our legal search consultants are all formerly practising lawyers and the consultants involved in legal support recruitment all have significant recruitment and/or law firm experience.
- ZSA has a strong legal community involvement. Our consultants regularly take part in networking and legal industry events. Many of our consultants are also members of industry associations and speak at conferences and events throughout the year.
- We take great pride in our unparalleled service, based on responsiveness, candour and transparency. We communicate with you regularly through in-person meetings, phone calls and email to learn about your needs, to ensure service is appropriate, and to provide updates on the recruitment process.
- At ZSA, we respect candidate privacy and obtain consent from all our candidates before speaking to our clients.
3. Do I have to pay for the service?
ZSA does not charge candidates for services provided.
4. How does the process work?
You will be interviewed by one of our consultants so that we can assess your career goals, salary expectations and reasons for considering a move. Whether you are looking for contract and/or permanent work, we conduct the necessary due diligence to ensure that we match you with the appropriate position. Once you have decided on a particular position, we act as a mediator to put together an offer which is acceptable to both parties.
5. How do I start the process?
Please send us a copy of your CV for our confidential review. Or, if you prefer, please contact one of our consultants via phone or confidential email. One of our consultants will be in touch to discuss the next steps with you.
6. I am a first year associate – Can ZSA help me?
It depends. Typically, legal recruitment agencies are engaged by our clients to find candidates with at least 1 full year of post-call experience. Occasionally we will get more junior level roles, or document review opportunities that may be suitable for someone in their first year of practice. Depending on your practice area and other variables (pre-law experience, geographic location, etc.), we might be able to assist you. Please contact one of our consultants for more information. We do not want to waste anyone’s time; if we are unable to assist you at this stage in your career, we will wish you all the best in your job search and hope to hear from you again when you have more post-call experience. We regret that we are unable to assist law students who are seeking articling positions.
6. I am a recent graduate – Can ZSA help me?
It depends. Typically, legal recruitment agencies are engaged by our clients to find candidates with at least 1 full year of post-graduate experience. Occasionally we will get more junior level roles that may be suitable for recent graduates. Depending on your degree and other variables (experience, geographic location, etc.), we might be able to assist you. Please contact one of our consultants for more information. We do not want to waste anyone’s time; if we are unable to assist you at this stage in your career, we will wish you all the best in your job search and hope to hear from you again when you have more post-graduate experience.
7. Will I be assigned to one consultant?
Yes. Upon submitting your CV, ZSA will assign you to a consultant who is best suited to address your needs. A consultant will be matched with you, based on your current location. Whether or not you choose to accept a position in another city, your designated consultant will be available to assist you throughout the entire recruitment process.
8. I have a disability. How will I be accommodated?
ZSA will accommodate persons with disabilities in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, and in accordance with the Human Rights Code. Accommodation for applicants with disabilities will be provided at each stage of the recruitment process. If you have a disability and require accommodation to complete the application form, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. In addition, if you are invited to participate in the testing and/or interview stages, you will be asked whether you require special accommodation. Please notify us of your requirements at the time of your invitation to participate in the testing and/or interview stage, so we can make arrangements in advance.