For Employers - Frequently Asked Questions
1. Why should I use a legal recruitment firm?
A legal recruitment firm specializes in the recruitment and placement of lawyers, law firm management professionals, and legal support staff. A legal recruitment consultant works alongside human resources teams and hiring professionals to find the right candidates for law firms and companies of all sizes. Legal consultants communicate regularly with their clients to learn about client needs, to ensure service is appropriate, and to provide updates on the recruitment process and relevant market intelligence. A firm like ZSA Legal Recruitment can help you find the right person(s) for the right position, quicker and easier!
2. How does ZSA differ?
We are different from other recruiters; here are some of the things that set us apart:
- ZSA’s core expertise is legal recruitment; we focus exclusively on legal searches. We are specialists, not generalists. All of our lawyer consultants are former practising lawyers.
- ZSA consultants communicate regularly with our clients to ensure service is appropriate, to discuss any issues, and to provide updates on the recruitment process and relevant market intelligence.
- Our consultants are spread out across the country, giving you unique access to talent from coast to coast.
- ZSA consultants are experienced and adept at understanding law firm and corporate culture. Together, our consultants have cumulatively interviewed more than 15,000 lawyers and legal support staff.
- As a result of our experience and education, ZSA consultants know the right questions to ask and understand how our candidates’ training and workplace experience will be the right fit for your needs.
- Due to our national presence, ZSA has preferred access to targeted legal and professional print publications, including national and local newspapers and general and niche job boards such as Workopolis and Monster, in addition to our own high traffic website, www.zsa.ca. Our website is the leading Canadian legal recruitment site and receives over 30,000 visits per month including 11,000 unique visitors every month.
3. What are the costs associated with using ZSA services?
ZSA operates on a contingency fee basis. There is no retainer, therefore no success means no fee. Please contact one of our consultants for more information.
4. Does ZSA offer a guarantee on placements?
We offer a comprehensive guarantee on all placements and pride ourselves on our exceptional client service.
5. What are the consultants’ qualifications?
Our legal search consultants are all former practising lawyers and the consultants involved in legal support recruitment all have significant recruitment and/or law firm experience. ZSA consultants are entirely focused on recruiting in the legal field and are adept at understanding your culture.
6. What does the recruitment process involve?
The lead consultant for your organization will meet with your hiring team, Human Resources Department, and anyone else you feel is appropriate, to review the position in detail. We will work with you to identify specific sources for suitable candidates. Following this meeting, based upon our extensive experience and the information discussed with the hiring team, the methodology we propose will consist of the following main steps:Step 1 – Source and identify potential qualified candidates Step 2 – Evaluate Candidates Step 3 – Shortlist Step 4 – Client Interviews Step 5 – Reference and Background Checks (if requested) Step 6 – Offer Negotiation Step 8 – Transition Management and Follow-Up
7. What type of clients use ZSA?
ZSA is used regularly by law firms and corporations of all sizes to fill their legal talent requirements. Please visit the Client Page to view our Sample Client List. We would be more than happy to provide you with the names of references, upon request.
8. How long does the process take?
The recruitment process widely varies depending on many factors, including the specific expertise and experience you seek, as well as the geographical location. As ZSA is the largest and only national legal recruitment firm in Canada, we can produce results that are timely and comprehensive. Please speak with one of our consultants to find out how we can assist you.
9. Is ZSA involved in the legal community?
At ZSA, our business is legal. That means that we are constantly involved in the activities pertaining to the legal community through involvement with provincial bars, attendance and guest-speaking engagements at conferences and seminars, as well as writing for legal publications. ZSA is the proud founder of the Quebec General Counsel Awards, the Western General Counsel Awards, and the Canadian General Counsel Awards, the only legal award programmes in Canada dedicated to General Counsel. We also host the Quorum Club, an annual event for top in-house counsel from across the country. As a result of all these programmes, ZSA has unprecedented access to key General Counsel and up-and-coming legal counsel in the country. Our dominance of the private practice Bar also allows us to be involved in daily meetings with leading private practitioners, law schools, and members of provincial bars and other legal organizations.