Toronto – 2 + Years
Legal & Compliance Paralegal
Our client, a commercial and specialty insurance company who is proud to help their clients and communities thrive in an ever-changing world is seeking a Legal & Compliance Paralegal to join their team.
Their promise to you is a culture that is collaborative, rewarding and empowering. They are committed to attracting and retaining employees across all dimensions of diversity as they know it is essential to their success. They believe that recognizing, appreciating, and applying the unique insights, perspectives and backgrounds of each person cultivates an atmosphere of trust and respect. Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (DEI) is how they do business, and they will continue to invest in it to create a stronger global organization.
In September employees moved to a hybrid work model so they can collaborate, build mentoring relationships, and solve complex or cross-functional business opportunities together. Their teams work in whichever environment best supports what they’re working on and who they’re working with.
They are hiring for a Paralegal role who will work within the Legal and Compliance Department and support internal clients.
Reporting to the SVP, Chief Counsel and Chief Compliance Officer, the successful candidate will provide paralegal assistance to the Legal and Compliance Department and internal clients, including matters relating to insurance regulatory/ licensing, contractual issues, and compliance, and will also lead and assist in projects as needed to accomplish legal and compliance objectives for the business.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare and submit applications and filings to Canadian insurance regulators (federal, provincial, territorial) on all licensing, registration, as well as maintenance of extra-provincial registrations.
- Assist with the creation and maintenance of contract templates/repository and legal notice repository.
- Oversee the administration of internal Regulatory Compliance Management System (“RCMS”) process for both Canada and Global and maintain/administer the RCMS database (Ethidex), including assisting with conducting annual reviews of controls and updating the database with information on new/revised controls.
- Organize and prepare for Governance Committee meetings, including scheduling meetings, preparing agendas, drafting minutes, and preparing, assembling, and distributing preparatory materials. Maintain and act as a repository for all meeting records, including minutes.
- Conduct due diligence under our clients economic sanctions compliance program.
- Assists with review, analysis, and response on escalated consumer complaints.
- Administer “Legal Email Intake” process for streamlined management of legal and compliance work.
- Track, collect and provide reports of metrics designed to improve legal department performance.
- Directly interact with internal clients/ business units to advance our clients business initiatives, including conducting legal research and managing projects and tasks as assigned.
- Assists in providing legal and compliance educational training to employees.
- Special assignments or tasks as assigned by SVP, Chief Counsel and Chief Compliance Officer
- Provides administrative assistance, including expense and document management and maintenance of department’s intranet site.
- A university degree and/or College Law Clerk or Paralegal Diploma. Recent graduates will be considered.
- Prior experience in property & casualty insurance industry an asset.
- Knowledge of document management systems (iManage knowledge an asset), Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Requires strong organizational skills with a high degree of attention to detail.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment and to effectively prioritize work.
- Demonstrated legal analysis/research and project management skills.
- Ability to work as part of a team and a desire for continuous improvement.
- French language skills considered an asset.
For more information or to submit your CV to email@example.com reference #32062