Etobicoke 2 + Years
Under the direction of the Director, Litigation, this position requires advanced legal administrative skills and experience. The role will assist lawyers with preparing chronologies, and doing basic drafting, business correspondence, assisting in witness preparations, filing of documents as needed and assisting counsel in case preparations at complex hearings and trials. In addition, this role conducts legal research for counsel and paralegals.
- Organizing and maintaining Legal, POA, LAT and CCD hearing files
- Generating and drafting various correspondence for Senior Legal Counsel, Legal Counsel and Paralegal. Proofread and edit all documentation for grammar, spelling, and content accuracy.
- Assist with general practice office management, including filing, scheduling meetings and court dates, travel arrangements, clearing faxes, email, and general correspondence and maintaining and keeping up-to-date the departmental tracking system for hearings, appeals, meetings, preparing presentations, and return/due dates.
- Responsible for maintaining Legal Department Reports to ensure current information is available. Liaising with outside organizations and Ministries
- Preparing legal documents, such as Books of Disclosure and Chronology of Documents for Discipline and Licence Appeal Tribunal hearings, taped court proceedings, and precedents based on written instructions and verbal direction.
- Corresponding with Court Records, Court Reporters and Land Registry Offices to obtain certified copies of various documents and transcripts
- Conduct legal research as directed by Senior Legal Counsel, Legal Counsel and Paralegal, including research on statutes, ordinances, court decisions, opinions, and articles using Quicklaw.
- Generating Sheriff Searches and Property Searches using Teraview as well as obtaining monthly Deposit Account Activity Reports for the office
- Perform case preparation, review case records, and update case progress.
- Interview clients or witnesses in person or over the telephone regarding complaints, depositions, and statements.
- Conduct background checks as necessary for meetings, investigations, and LAT.
- Ensuring the internal database (Intraweb) is up-to-date and accurately reflects any administrative action taken as well as relevant file notes.
- Interact with clients to obtain direction or instruction for attorneys.
- Other duties as assigned by Director, Senior Legal Counsel, Legal Counsel and Paralegal
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in a legal environment
- Bachelors or college degree required, with Paralegal or Law Clerk certification preferred, or an acceptable combination of education and experience.
- Strong knowledge of basic legal concepts, principles, and terminology.
- Practical knowledge of the Criminal Code, Canada Evidence Act, Provincial Offences Act, Real Restate and Business Brokers Act 2002, Consumer Protection Act, Sale of Goods Act, Statutory Powers Procedure Act, and Safety and Consumer Statutes Administration Act and other related statutes as they apply to the activities of RECO
- Good understanding of legal reference materials, procedures, and legal filing systems.
- Critical thinking, analysis, and research skills are essential.
- Ability to read, interpret and apply legal documentation, laws or legislation.
- Strong sense of ethics and the ability to handle sensitive or private information with tact and discretion; knowledge of data privacy laws.
- Superior interpersonal skills to interact with employees, attorneys, clients, departments, and external agencies.
- Good research skills on the internet and traditional sources of information. i.e. basic knowledge of Quicklaw, CanLii, etc.
- Excellent writing skills, including letter writing, drafting, proper spelling, grammar, and punctuation for complex documentation.
- Superior time management skills, multitasking skills, and the ability to prioritize tasks with minimal supervision.
- High level of sound and independent judgment, reasoning, and diplomacy.
- Resourcefulness and flexibility
For more information or to submit your resume, please email firstname.lastname@example.org reference #31752