Toronto | 5 + Years
Reporting to the Vice President, Legal, this position will provide Senior Law Clerk services with respect to all legal entities in Canada within our clients portfolio. This includes but is not limited to drafting and negotiating offers, leases and related documents, providing legal support and performing lease administration functions.
- Draft, revise, and assist in negotiating leases & ancillary lease documents such as Lease Extensions/Renewals, Amendments, Surrender, Overhold, Consent to Subleases, Parking Agreements, Storage Agreements, Default Letters, NDAs, and general correspondence to landlords and legal counsel
- Maintain, update, and perform data entry for lease document information on behalf of counsel in CRM (Electronic Lease Workflow)
- Interact with internal clients and external legal counsel and tenants, under the supervision of counsel
- Provide general administrative support to counsel and managers
- Instruct outside counsels with respect to the preparation, negotiation and completion of legal documentation including reviewing drafts and approval of final documents submitted by outside counsels for execution by
- Participate in legal initiatives including preparation of estoppel certificates and major tenants’ lease summaries in connection with financing, organizing leasing precedent system, updating lease document templates, and participating in other special
- Handle tenant’s requests for transfer of lease including obtaining all required information for Landlord’s review, reviewing lease documents to determine Landlord’s rights, and obtaining Landlord’s approval (including discussion with financial analyst, property manager and asset managers). Inform tenants of Landlord’s decision including drafting and sending letters explaining Landlord’s refusal, or preparing, negotiating, and completing any required consent documents.
- Supervise and review ancillary documents prepared by junior legal assistants including aiding in drafting and reviewing tenant’s amendments.
- Provide ongoing support to leasing managers, property managers, asset managers and other staff in areas such as interpretation and review of lease documents, providing advice as to rights, restrictions, and obligations, and drafting documentation and correspondence as
- Perform other lease administration functions including preparation of lease summaries, ensuring quality of information recorded in Lease CRM (including inputting and approving deals), providing updates for status reports and maintaining list of retail exclusives and first
SERVICE / PERSONAL SKILLS:
- The ideal candidate would have prior experience in a legal department or law firm with excellent interpersonal and communications skills (oral and written).
- Exceptional attention to detail, with superior level of reading comprehension skills, sophisticated drafting skills, good judgement and strong negotiating and analytical skills.
- This individual should be able to work independently with minimal supervision and is self-motivated with a positive attitude.
- Candidate should be a team player, able to work under pressure, meet deadlines, judge changing priorities, and take strong initiative.
EXPERIENCE & TECHINCAL SKILLS:
- Minimum 5+ years related legal experience in commercial (office and retail) leasing
- Sophisticated comprehension of leasing issues
- Advanced level Microsoft Office skills
- Knowledge of Yardi would be considered an asset
EDUCATION / DESIGNATIONS / LICENSES:
- Completion of University degree in a related field
- Recognized law clerk course or equivalency in experience
For more information or to submit your resume please send an email to email@example.com. Reference #31786